June 29, 2011

Drawing in Graphite

December 2010

A couple years ago my husband asked me to draw him a picture of this image:

So for Christmas, I surprised him with the completed drawing:

This is a multi media piece. The paper is Windsor&Newton coldpress watercolor paper, and I painted a subtle layer of water color before I began the drawing.

Inspired by my art professor Ms. Black, I made every line count. She often said "draw each line with complete purpose". Since then I shade much differently: I rarely blend in lines, but rather let each show, as you see in these details:


You can even see 'every' leaf. I just think that's cool.

Stats:
-roughly 14x17 inches(to fit in a 16x20 frame)
-watercolor and graphite on cold press paper
-hours worked: unknown (but very carefully so that it would be a surprise!)

2 comments:

The Happy Trapper said...

your work is dynamic and so sharp and clean! I really would pay you for some basic classes!!!!

Jennifer Alba Apffel said...

Thanks! I really like that idea of teaching. When I have enough interest to fill a class, I'll let you know!